General information and how to join the bookclub
The Quick Summary
Top of Page
- You open a FREE Kindle Direct Publishing ("KDP") account
- You open a FREE 30-day trial Kindle Unlimited account
- You download and install the Kindle app on your internet device
- You join our bookclub
- Two ways to join
- You get a book document to publish on Amazon's Kindle website
- Your book is listed on our bookclub website
- You read books by other bookclub members. Just read the book until the page counter shows "100%" and then return the book to the Kindle bookstore.
- Other members read your book and you get paid on a monthly basis by Kindle
Be one of the next 100 new members to join our new bookclub ...
... and you'll get three (3) books that you own, can publish in your own name, and start receiving monthly royalties on!
Join in either one of two ways: one-time payment, or read some books with NO out-of-pocket expense.
For more information, please e-mail.
Top of Page
Your first step
Assuming that you have a Kindle account, your first step should be to take a look at the books listed on this website. You can choose
"WITH cover art" or
"WITHOUT cover art".
Select a book or two. Download into your Kindle account. Read thru the book(s) and get familiar with the format.
Most of the listed books run about 1,000 pages. Most of them use the .com website name listing (called a "zone file") to create cryptograms. Of course, you're free to write and publish your own book on whatever subject you want as long as the material is not in the public domain.
Top of Page
Why join the HamsterSmut Bookclub?
Well, the quick answer to this question is: to make some extra money each month ... month after month.
Other reasons? Obviously, there's something to be said for having your very own book published on the internet ... both for personal satisfaction as well as for "bragging rights" with your friends. Plus, getting the first book published is a huge first-step towards having the drive and motivation to getting your NEXT book published.
You can make money as a bookclub member part-time, in your spare time, as a new hobby, when you're not busy at work ... or anytime and anywhere if you have a tablet (you don't have to be connected to the internet to read a downloaded Kindle book!). There isn't an age barrier either. No special computer skills are needed either.
How would you make money?
Three things are involved:
- Publish a Kindle book. Don't worry about writing, your first book is provided to you as part of your membership.
- You read the books published by the other members of the bookclub.
- Click on a book (title or cover) listed on the HamsterSmut Bookclub website
- Download the book from the Kindle bookstore
- Read the book until the page counter shows "100%"
- Return the book to the Kindle bookstore
- Read the next book listed on the HamsterSmut Bookclub website
The other members of the bookclub read YOUR published book and you get paid royalties for the pages read.
How much can you make?
Here's how it works:
Who "cuts" the check?
- Each member of the bookclub reads the books published by the other members. This is a membership requirement.
- Each time your book gets read, you earn a royalty for the total number of pages read.
- Altho the amount per page varies each month (it's based upon the total amount in the Kindle "pages read pot" divided by the total number of pages read for all eligible books), it averages about 0.5 cents per page ... or about $5.00 for a book with 1,000 pages.
- Let's assume that your book has 1,000 pages in it. This means you'll earn about $5.00 each time your book is read by anyone ... not just members of the bookclub. You'll earn $500.00 for every 100 members of the bookclub who read your book. For 500 members, you'd earn $2,500.00. For 1,000 members, you'd earn $5,000.00!
- Your Kindle Direct Publishing account includes a "Reports" page which displays the day-to-day activity for your book(s) ... both purchases as well as pages read.
- Also, keep in mind that you earn a "sales royalty" each time someone purchases your book. This is in addition to the royalty for pages read.
- Plus, you earn a "cash bonus" for each person you refer as a new member of the bookclub.
Your royalty payments come directly from Kindle as direct deposits into your bank account at the end of each calendar month. The bookclub is not involved in any way in royalty payments.
Top of Page
What you need to be a bookclub member
Top of Page
- Obviously, you'll need access to an internet connection.
- You'll also need a computer (desktop, laptop, etc) or a tablet ... capable of running the Kindle app.
- Sign up for a "Kindle Unlimited" account
- Currently, there's a FREE 30-day trial period.
- $9.95/month (after the free trial)
- Gives you unlimited reading access to most Kindle books
- (Kindle storefront page)
- Download and install the Kindle app on your internet device
- Sign up for a "Kindle Direct Publishing" account
- OPTIONAL. If you want to edit your book document, or publish additional titles, you'll need Microsoft Word capable of handling the ".docx" format. You can "rent" this software from Microsoft on a month-by-month basis for about $10.00/month.
- OPTIONAL. The book you receive as part of your membership will likely have a "download" section which provides your readers with the opportunity to download hyperlinked versions of the lists in your book. If you don't currently have your own website, don't worry ... we can arrange temporary file hosting until you're ready to launch a personal website.
Bookclub membership fees, costs and benefits
Yes, there's a membership fee. This is one-time and your membership is good for as long as you remain an actively participating member.
The cost? There are two options available:
The only requirement is that you continue to read the books published by the other members of the bookclub. Since it wouldn't be fair to other people if you stop reading other books but still expect others to read your book (you'd earn money but they wouldn't), if you aren't actively reading YOUR book will be removed from this website (de-listed) and your membership will be voided. Reinstatement of voided memberships is considered on a case by case basis. We all understand that sometimes life situations consume our time ... just be an adult and let us know in advance.
- Cash payment (via PayPal) of $100.00, or
- Reading a list of books in lieu of a cash payment
(e-mail for details).
Your membership includes one (1) book with one (1) cover. The book is in Microsoft Word ".docx" format and roughly 1,000 pages in length. The cover is in ".jpg" format. You can edit your book document (add items to your dedication page, add download links, add personal history, etc) and/or your book cover (change the background image, colors, etc). You'll need to login to your Kindle Direct Publishing account to publish your book (we'll be more than happy to help you with step-by-step instructions). Generally, your book will be active on the Kindle website within a few hours ... rarely taking two days. Your membership includes copyright to the book. Even if you subsequently decide to no longer be a member of the bookclub, you will always own the book (ownership of the "notes" and "descriptions" sections of the provided book remains as a shared property with the bookclub members).
You can publish any number of books with your Kindle Direct Publishing account. Kindle does not charge anything for publishing.
There is a nominal one-time charge to list an additional book on the bookclub website. There's currently no limit to the number of books you can have listed on the bookclub's website.
So, it's really pretty simple:
And, you can join and get your very own published book (in YOUR name) ... at absolutely NO COST to you! Just start your FREE 30-day trial of Kindle Unlimited, open your FREE Kindle Direct Publishing account, and read (yes, again, for FREE) an assigned set of books from the bookclub. As soon as you've completed the reading, you've earned a bookclub membership and you'll be on your way to earning monthly royalties.
Top of Page
- One-time membership fee (cash payment of $100.00 or complete a reading list).
- You're provided with a book document (".docx") and cover (".jpg"). You can select the title keyword(s) or let us do it for you.
- The book is yours (except for the "common property" pieces).
- As long as you're actively involved, your book stays listed on the website, other members read your book and you earn monthly royalties.
Ready to join our bookclub?
If you're ready to join our bookclub, or if you have some questions, please
send an e-mail.
Top of Page
How Kindle calculates book royalties
Here's the latest "cut and paste" from the Kindle site
Royalties in Kindle Unlimited and Kindle Owners' Lending Library
You're eligible for royalty payment from Kindle Unlimited (KU, or Abonnement Kindle in France) and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) for pages an individual customer reads in your book for the first time. A customer can read your book as many times as they like, but we will only pay you for the number of pages read the first time the customer reads them.
It may take months for customers to read pages in your book, but no matter how long it takes, we'll still pay you once it happens. This is true even if your KDP Select enrollment period has expired, and you choose not to re-enroll.
Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC v2.0)
To determine a book's page count in a way that works across genres and devices, we developed the Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC). KENPC is calculated using standard formatting settings (font, line height, line spacing, etc.). We use KENPC to measure the number of pages customers read in your book, starting with the Start Reading Location (SRL) to the end of your book. Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your book as soon as they open it. Non-text elements within books including images, charts and graphs will count toward a book’s KENPC.
We released KENPC v2.0 to improve the way we measure the length of each book. KENPC v2.0 makes a number of improvements to how we standardize font, line height, and spacing used to normalize the length of each book relative to one another. This change will impact the KENPC of some titles while others will remain unchanged. The average KENPC will change less than 5%, although individual books’ changes may be larger or smaller. The new KENPC approach will be applied uniformly to all KDP Select books and all versions of those books. Regardless of which version a customer may be reading, all future royalties will be paid using KENPC v2.0. If a customer previously borrowed your book and is still reading it, any new pages read will be based on KENPC v2.0.
KENPC v2.0 also introduces a change to how we handle extremely long books like dictionaries and long reference books. Under KENPC v2.0, authors will be able to earn a maximum of 3,000 Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENPs) read per title per customer. While this change impacts a fraction of a percent of KDP Select books, we believe it will result in a more equitable distribution of the KDP Select Global Fund. Each time your book is borrowed and read, you will receive credit for up to 3,000 pages.
You can see your book's KENPC v2.0 listed on the "Promote and Advertise" page in your Bookshelf, and you can also see total pages read on your Sales Dashboard report. Because it's based on default settings, KENPC v2.0 may vary from page counts listed on your Amazon detail page, which are derived from other sources.
Our total payout from the KDP Select Global Fund will be unaffected by the transition to KENPC v2.0, and the amount you earn from the global fund will continue to be determined based on your share of total pages read by Kindle Unlimited (KU) and Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) customers. The new KENPC version will be applied uniformly to all KDP Select books and used to measure all pages read.
You'll get one combined royalty payment for both KU and KOLL, paid according to the same payment schedule and payment method you selected for your other KDP sales.
We review the size of the KDP Global Fund each month in order to make it compelling for authors to enroll their books in KDP Select. We announce the fund monthly in our community forum on kdp.amazon.com.
The share of fund allocated to each country varies based on a number of factors, such as exchange rates, customer reading behavior, and local subscription pricing. Author earnings are then determined by their share of total pages read, up to a total of 3,000 pages per customer per title.
Here are some examples of how it would work if the fund was $10M and 100,000,000 total pages were read in the month:
- The author of a 100 page book that was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
- The author of a 200 page book that was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $2,000 ($10 million multiplied by 20,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
- The author of a 200 page book that was borrowed 100 times but only read halfway through on average would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
Similarly, KDP Select All-Star bonuses are awarded to authors and titles based on total KU and KOLL pages read.
We always support our authors' efforts to promote their books, but at the same time we work to prevent any manipulation of the Kindle platform.
We do not permit authors to offer, or participate in marketing that incentivizes Kindle Unlimited or Kindle Owners' Lending Library customers to read their books in exchange for compensation of any kind. This includes payment (whether in the form of money or gift certificates), bonus content, entry to a contest or sweepstakes, discounts on future purchases, extra product, or other gifts.
Because we're always looking to improve our authors' experience, we have systems in place to monitor for potential manipulation.
Top of Page
How to sign up for Kindle Unlimited free trial period
From the Amazon Kindle website
Sign Up for the Kindle Unlimited Free Trial
You can sign up for a free 30-Day trial if you haven't tried Kindle Unlimited before.
Note: To sign up for the free trial, you must have an Amazon account with a current, valid credit card. To be eligible you must be a U.S. resident. Also, you must also have 1-Click payments enabled.
While you won't be charged during your free trial, you will be automatically upgraded to a paid subscription plan at the end of the trial period. You can avoid the upgrade by following the directions in Manage Your Kindle Unlimited Subscription.
Top of Page
- Visit the Kindle Unlimited page.
- Select Start your 30-day free trial.
- Sign in with your Amazon account. If you don't have an account, you'll be asked to create one.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.